Pat’s Country Greens
Yield: 8 Servings Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 2 hour 30 minutes Total Time: 2 hour 50 minutes
Greens is a traditional side dish of my family’s Sunday Dinner. Cooked on medium and slow heat until tender with smoked turkey necks or (smoked neckbones- your choice), Lipton onion soup mix, granulated garlic powder, yellow peppers, peppercoini, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper.
We love a side dish of greens! I also, like mixing my collard greens, mustard greens and turnip greens together to make Country Greens! The dish can be made from fresh greens or bags of Country Greens from grocery store. The hardest part about this side dish is waiting for the greens to get done to enjoy the delicious and scrumptious taste at the end results!!!
2 lg. bags Country Greens
1 pkg. Smoked Turkey Necks or (Smoked Neckbones)
1 pkg. Lipton Onion Soup Mix
1 Tbsp. Granulated Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Black Pepper
1 tsp. Salt
1 Tbsp. Pepperoncini
3 Yellow Peppers (little juice)
pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
1. In a large pot half full of water add smoked turkey necks or (smoked neckbones) cover and simmer while cleaning the greens.
2. Once the greens are cut up in 2″ chunks and large stems removed in a sink of cold water, sprinkle a little salt on greens to help remove any dirt from ground while being picked and wash/rinse greens 3 times to ensure greens are clean. When rinse is complete add the country greens to the pot with smoked turkey necks – also, add all the ingredients Lipton onion soup mix, granulated garlic powder, black pepper, salt pepperoncini, yellow peppers and red pepper flakes, cover top and cook on medium heat. Stir greens to infuse the mixture of ingredients into the greens and cover.
3. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 2 hours until the country greens are tender and chewy when tasted!!! Enjoy!
Sunday Dinner Ideas:
1. Bar B Q Ribs, Country Greens, Potato Salad, Chili Beans, Mac/Cheese, Cornbread & Peach Cobbler.
2. Fried Chicken, Country Greens, Great Northern Beans & Cornbread, Banana Pudding.
3. Pork Chops, Country Greens, Baby Lima Beans & Sweet Potato Pie
Just a few of my favorite Sunday meals!!!